Friday, October 2, 2009

So who is to blame?

I have always blamed/been grateful to my cousin for my interest in dragons and all things mythical and fantastical. He is 10 years older than me and when I was a child he told me the most wonderful stories of dragons, princesses, pirates, unicorns and knights in shining armour. He also taught me to play chess, and introduced me to yet another world full of castles, kings, knights and pawns.
But recently I took down a book from our shelves to look for some inspiration for a craft project. Its called the Book of Romance edited by Andrew Lang with illustrations by Henry Ford. I have a few other books by the same Andrew Lang with titles such as the Blue Fairy Book and the Brown Fairy Book. These gorgeous books have gold edged pages, beautiful illustrations (the colour plates with tissue paper in front of them) and embossed covers. Opening up the Book of Romance I was transported back to my childhood with pictures of Lancelot, Guenevere and of course dragons. It brought back so many memories of reading these stories with my beloved father, who, of course, also had a great love for dragons and fairies (and, I rather suspect, damsels in distress!).
Surrounded by such people, how could I hope to escape......my dreams were born, and I became a greater fantasy lover than either of them.
So thanks, Daddy and Brian, I'm a richer person for having the both of you :D

No comments:

Post a Comment