Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Advent

I can't believe it's Advent already. We lit our first Advent candle last Sunday and I have put up the Advent tree that I made a long time ago. I was really pleased with it at the time, because I made it from felt and fabric that I had already and I didn't have to buy anything for it. The numbers are getting a little tatty now, as they were only glued on and some of them are falling off! The first Christmas we had it, it was just the two of us and we took it in turns to fill each pocket with something small for each other. Now it's just the children that do it, and even thought the eldest is now 21 they still do it - and there's always a family discussion as to who got the star last year. This year I bought some pocket gnomes from my friend Carol to fill it - one of the pockets has 2 gnomes in it, so that son no 2 can give one to his girlfriend too!
Two of my children are performing with Irish National Youth Ballet in their production of The Nutcracker this weekend. I've just been baking mini gingerbread men which I am going to ice as Nutcracker Princes and mini gingerbread ladies which will become Snowflake Angels for their first night party. While I was baking I put onone of my Christmas CDs for the first time this year and had a great time singing along to White Christmas. Happy Advent everyone!

3 comments:

  1. The tree is beautiful just to look at, but know its history makes it even more special, thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely family tradition you have established and the tree looks great. I hope you will have some spare gingerbread men to share with your old friends! Carol xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading this post gave me my first true feeling of Christmas. Thank you for a bit of Christmas magic .........

    ReplyDelete