Thursday, March 25, 2010

Small Treasures

I just love it when some tiny thing catches me unawares and makes me smile. Ladybirds are one of them, whenever I come across one it makes my day. And feathers in egg boxes are another. There I am, in the supermarket doing my weekly shopping, which I hate. I need some eggs and I open the box to check if the eggs are all unbroken and uncracked. And there, sitting on the top, is a little white feather. Or sometimes its a brown one. Either way, it never fails to make me smile. It reminds of the hens at my great aunt's farm when I was a child. And as I only buy organic, free-range eggs, I know that the hen that lost this feather wasn't stuck in a cage the size of an A4 bit of paper with 3 or 4 other hens, but was free to roam outside and see the sunshine and feel the wind in her feathers. I have long held a dream of owning some hens. Just a few, 2 or 3 maybe. It has never been practical so far - but you never know what the future holds, and maybe some day I will have my own supply of little white feathers along with fresh eggs.
I am a bit late with last Friday's flowers, it's been a bit hectic this week between one thing and another. Here they are, some pink felt daisies, which are going on to a porridge carton - you will have to wait for that another few days! I promise I will do it sooooooooon. :D

1 comment:

  1. I love finding feathers in egg boxes too :D. The food chain is too sanitised for our own good.
    I remember you telling about the fairy godmother and the flowers. It reminded me of the year that for Christmas I gave my mother a bunch of flowers every month. I had such fun choosing them each month from a fancy florist in Merrion. There must still be such a sense of anticipation and delight each week for you as you open those little envelopes.

    ReplyDelete