Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cherry Blossom

I took this picture while out on a walk this morning. The cherry trees are beautiful just now, but this one in particular is sooo white and perfect. The other day when I was out walking in the pouring rain, it shone out on a horrible dark day and was so still and beautiful. It reminded of me this poem by AE Houseman, that my father always quoted at this time of year :)

LOVELIEST of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.
Now, of my threescore years and ten, 5
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.
And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room, 10
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.

Once the white trees are over, the pink blossomed ones come out and then we have lots of pink snow when their petals start to fall. Lovely!

4 comments:

  1. I love that Houseman poem and often recite it when out walking among the blossoms. Beautiful photo. The white blossom is so much prettier than the pink imho! C xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beeeeoootiful photo, Lisa. I was admiring cherry blossom trees when driving along Anglesea Road yesterday, there are a couple of stunners on that road.

    Julie :o)

    P.S. Might have a go at a sheet of that Letraset paper - thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havent seen any cherry blossoms yet this year although there are some pink ones near mum and dad, i must go and look although I will never remember that lovely poem :)

    Sxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always liked that poem.
    Raised beds - lucky you! It's hard to know what to do with the garden when it's still down to freezing some nights.

    ReplyDelete