Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Off with her head!

I've been busy this week jazzing up some props for the INYB's forthcoming production of Alice in Wonderland. The heart just needed some new paint, so I gave it 2 coats of acrylic and then some Stickles to make it sparkly - it's carried by the Queen, so she needs a bit of bling I thought, to go with her red and gold tutu! The white rabbit's pocket watch was made from a paper plate that had seen better days and when the wardrobe mistress asked me if I could make a new one I was more than happy to oblige.

The design evolved as I went along, and also became gold instead of silver. I had a circular thin silver cake board that I used as a starting point, but then realised that it would look much better as a gold watch and so I sprayed the whole thing gold when it was put together. The back is the cake board and the front is a piece of cardboard with a sandwich of polystyrene in between. I had to cover the edge with brown paper so that the polystyrene wouldn't do weird things when I sprayed it with paint or varnish (I've seen it melt before!). Then I had a brainwave for the top of it to make it look really watch-like.I used 2 empty cardboard ribbon spools stuck together and a curtain ring stuck on the top. Then I cut out a face from mounting board, which I painted white to make it brighter (it was a bit too cream for my liking. More acrylic paint for the numbers and the rim and voila! Lots of fun and a very messy house......but sure the housework will still be there tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. That is fab - an Oscar for the prop-mistress, please!!!! From the sound of things, you had a lot of fun making it, too!!

    Julie :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Job. I LOVE it and how inventive with the 'winder'. Super. Carol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies, dress rehearsal so will see how it looks on stage :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a real brainwave - that watch looks perfect. Alas yes, the housework will always still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic you did a great job there..btw if you are still interested in painting my photo ( well not me lol )just email me and I will forward on a larger image :)

    ReplyDelete