Thursday, December 22, 2011

Holly's up!

Christmas can begin now, I got the holly up over the pictures :D I also put a little over my nativity scene, with some ivy from the garden. Shopping is all done, bar one or two very small things which can be got easily. I drove round the car park twice today before I could find a spot, it's so busy. Not to mention the queues everywhere both people and cars. Anyway, all peaceful now, and I thought I would share this beautiful poem. I love that line 'haphazard by starlight' - what a wonderful image. It brings a bit of calm into an otherwise busy busy time. Enjoy :)
BC:AD by U.A.Fanthorpe

This was the moment when Before
Turned into After, and the future's
Uninvented timekeepers presented arms.

This was the moment when nothing
Happened. Only dull peace
Sprawled boringly over the earth.

This was the moment when even
energetic Romans
Could find nothing better to do
Than counting heads in remote
provinces.

And this was the moment
When a few farm workers and three
Members of an obscure Persian sect
Walked haphazard by starlight straight
Into the kingdom of heaven.

1 comment:

  1. I've always liked UA Fanthorpe - thanks for sharing that poem.
    Lovely crib, too. We always used to have berried holly from the garden when I was growing up, I've never bothered with buying it but it was always a Christmas Eve task.
    You're so right about the cars and crowds! I think we're planning to walk to the library tomorrow, which reminds me I'd better double check it's open, I'm just assuming.
    Happy Christmas to you, and a peaceful New Year.

    ReplyDelete