Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Happy Stripes

 It being the end of term, one of my pupils gave me this wonderful plant. I just love its cheerfulness! It was in a bright blue bag and the combination of colours was so lovely especially after all the grey dreary days we've been having.
In the evening, it closes up its petals like some sort of golden spider, and then next morning, there it is again, shouting its happiness to the sun. I haven't quite decided where I am going to put it yet, but it will be somewhere I can see it from the dining table. It's a Gazania, which I think come from South Africa, and are fairly hardy, so I hope it will be with me for a long time.

5 comments:

  1. Do you think that it would survive this far north? I think it would look lovely next to my new green fence? Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this link is useful - http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/homegardening/scene5877.html - looks like you could bring it indoors for the winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a lovely gift. I love gazanias. A couple of years back I grew a tub in mixed colours by the front door. And I'm pretty sure they figure in my South African flowers embroidery book :D.
    I'm sure you're right about the apple blossom too, I thought so at first, but then I was sure the location was where the pear tree was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful plant, the sun has just made an appearance today, and everthing looks so bright and sunny. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I planted these last week not knowing what they were, I got such a lovely suprise when they bloomed :) Lovely photo Lisa!

    ReplyDelete