Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bulbs

 I'm sure you all know by now how much I love autumn, and one of the things I love most is planting bulbs. I love how they come in such an amazing variety of colours and styles, and I can never pick out a favourite. Sometimes the bright cheerful yellow of daffodils appeals to me, sometimes it's the delicateness (is that a word?) of snowdrops, and other times the pinks and reds of tulips are my favourites. But one bulb that I grow every year is Narcissus Paperwhite. I love the simplicity of them, just stick them in the compost, or sand, put them on a windowsill and off they go. And when they flower, the room is filled with the most incredible scent.
This year I bought 2 packs and crammed them into one bowl, so in a few weeks I'm hoping to have gorgeous white flowers and heavenly scent! I also bought a pack of Bridal Crown - these are a similar idea, small flowers with big scent, but these ones do need a cold dark spell and so they are away down the garden covered in a box to keep the light out - hopefully they will be flowering in time for Christmas.
And in the meantime I am still wandering the aisles of the garden centre, trying to decide what to put in my big patio pot this year - pink and white tulips? masses of yellow daffodils? or maybe I'll try something completely different and go for bright bright red.........hmmm.......

1 comment:

  1. ooooooh I planted my bulbs on Sunday, nothing too adventurous for this first time gardener but I have some Daffodils, Snowdrops and Crocus' in the ground and in pots. I have also planted some Primrose and Primula for a bit of colour in some tubs......... and yet the Clematis grows. Periwinkle would appear not to be doing what it said on the tin but it is still a very beautiful green on the door step.

    ReplyDelete